Thursday, September 22, 2011

Playa del Carmen, Day 6

Our last day to see ruins.  Jeff and I left the kids with Richard and Anna, and we went with Emily and Jessi to Tulum.  This is the only Mayan city right on the sea, and it has an amazingly beautiful beach there.  The rest of the city is enclosed on the other three sides by a wall.  The site has been cleared out very well – there really isn’t any jungle taking over the ruins anymore – but the buildings themselves are still in the process of being restored.  Again, we couldn’t climb anything (except up and down the stairs to the beach) and had to stay behind ropes.  It was pretty, but probably my least favorite of the Mayan sites because the buildings were much smaller and the only real large building was roped off far enough away you couldn’t even really get good pictures of it.
 After walking around and taking all the photos we wanted, we left the site and did some shopping.  We got our anniversary date written out in Mayan characters, and bought the Mayan calendar before getting back on the bus to the hotel.  Jeff’s name is pronounced Yipili, and mine is pronounced Cami.

We spent some time at the beach with the kids:
and then left them with Emily and Jessi while Jeff and I had dinner alone at a Mexican restaurant here in the hotel.  Dinner was delicious.  I broke my diet and ate way too much, and even had dessert.  And now I feel sick.  Hopefully I’ve learned my lesson.  I’ve been doing so well here and haven’t felt deprived at all.  In fact, I have felt strong and had plenty of energy.  The heat and humidity have been uncomfortable, but I haven’t struggled with them like I thought I would.  Not one headache so far, which is very unusual for me.  Yeah, I’m getting more and more convinced that sugar is evil.

No comments: