Sunday, September 11, 2011

to guard their psyche

In regard to my previous post, specifically the comment about how I yell too much, my mom shared an experience with me.

A long time ago she went to have her temple recommend interview with Marlin Jensen, who was at that time our stake president.  He asked her the question about whether there was anything in her relationship with her family members that was contrary to the teachings of Christ.  She told him that she yelled too much.  He advised her not to yell, and then said that it "will destroy their psyche."  (I think those are the words she said he used.)

Anyway, when Mom shared that, it really hit me.  I can tell that it affects the kids when I yell.  I'm not abusive - I don't call them names or belittle them at all.  But I definitely could do better about raising my voice.

So I made a goal.  Starting that day, I wasn't going to yell anymore.

It's been about 10 days now, and I'm pleased to report that I have only yelled three times.  Maybe four.  But still, that's enormous improvement for me.  And I'm also pleased to report that they have responded very well.  As I have found other ways to get them to do what I need them to do, they have been more cooperative and helpful; consequently, we have all been happier.  I could get used to this.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Yes, Marlin's comments really affected me. It hit me pretty hard and I sure didn't want to hurt them any more and I did change, too. I love it when we have those moments that wake us up. That's what it is all about. Acknowledging you have a problem and then making the necessary changes. Good job.