Monday, April 6, 2015

heartache

I recently learned that someone I love very much has been deliberately deceptive for the last year and a half. She constructed a completely false story which she then distributed to dozens of people, for purely selfish reasons. She has outright lied about some of her choices because she didn't want to be judged for them.

At least, I assume that's why she lied. I'm not sure she even knows yet that I know about her lies, so I haven't asked her about her reasons.

I'm kind of waiting for her to come to me. But I don't think she will. She obviously didn't care enough to tell the truth in the beginning, so why would it be any different now?

The repercussions of her decision to lie are heartbreaking. It will seriously affect her relationship with me and with others that love her for a long time.

She pulled others into her lies as well. Those others are, of course, responsible for their own choices and the part they played in her deception. But the fact that she even asked them to go along with it is another blow to her character.

She thought I (and others) would judge her for her lifestyle. But she never gave us the chance to make that choice. By making that assumption, she became the one who judged.

If I judge her for her choices, that's on me. But if she lies, that's on her.

1 comment:

Connie Hansen said...

It has been painful. The disappointment has been hard to bear, but it is more about what she missed out on rather than about what she has done. Forgiveness is easy. Trust is hard to regain. The atonement is for all. I love you!!!