Saturday, January 21, 2017

Post-Inauguration day thoughts

Today my heart is heavy. I feel like I’m grieving, and yes, it has a lot to do with the new president and his inauguration and the events of the last couple of days. But it probably isn’t what you think. I grieve because I am seeing so much hate on social media. So. Much. Hate.

When your post or comment contains derogatory name-calling, you’ve moved beyond helpful discourse and descended into pettiness. 

When you make statements such as “get over it,” you refuse to acknowledge that the other side has legitimate concerns and fears and doubts. And when you refuse to acknowledge that, you have lost empathy.

When you claim that all those who voted for one person are sexist, racist, misogynists, you fail to acknowledge that in fact, an overwhelming majority of them are good, hard-working, loyal Americans who feel that the administration of the last eight years had lost touch with their concerns and was not serving their interests. Just like the administration of the previous eight years maybe didn’t serve your primary interests. I come from a conservative, traditionally Republican family. I can pretty much guarantee that I am one of a very few of them who bucked that tradition in this election. But I can also guarantee that you will never find a group of more loving, accepting, caring, devoted, loyal, amazing people than my extended (and immediate) family. I take personal offense at the suggestion that they are racist or deplorable in any sense of the word.

When you lump all protestors into the same category as the anarchists who destroy property (217 arrests out of over 10,000 protestors), you fail to acknowledge the power of a peaceful protest and the right of those who feel marginalized to engage in such protests.

Consider this an appeal for more decency from all sides. Recognize that the issues are more nuanced than any soundbite, newspaper article, or television/radio spot can explain. Seek to learn from those who have different experiences and different perspectives. You don’t have to agree, but seek to understand.

1 comment:

Nate said...

I think it's great that you decided to write again. I stopped many years ago due to lack of time and frustration with the whole political world (I know you write about everything... that's just where my writing was focused). I really enjoyed your post and look forward to seeing more in the future. You're right, just about everyone could benefit from honestly trying to understand those who have different political perspectives.