Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Chick-Fil-A messed up my plans, and I couldn't be happier!

We have been planning a trip to Disneyland for a couple of years now. You know, it's kind of the thing to do - what childhood would be complete without a trip to Disneyland to meet the princesses and ride Space Mountain? And with Harry Potter land (or whatever they call it), even more reason.

But the other night we were playing a "dinner game" that came in a Chick-Fil-A kids meal. The game contains a collection of cards that contain simple games and activities. They are designed to start conversations and improve the quality of the family dinner time. That night, the question was, "If you could go on vacation anywhere in the world (that you have not been), where would you go?" We all took turns. I chose Spain or Italy. Lauren chose New York (to see the Statue of Liberty). Faith chose Washington DC. I can't remember what Michael chose. And Jeff didn't get a turn to answer because everyone else was talking about all the things to see in Washington DC or New York. (HA! Isn't that how it goes?)

It suddenly hit me what was NOT on that list. No one had mentioned Disneyland. All three of the kids had picked places in the U.S. that were NOT Disneyland. And if we didn't go to Disneyland, we could certainly manage to visit one of those places. So I asked if maybe we should rethink our plan.

I should insert here that we are planning to take the kids to Europe in a few years, hopefully for an entire summer. This experience will be just a little bit expensive, so the trip we are currently planning will likely be our last "big" vacation until then. So where we go matters. (I mean, I know it doesn't matter in the long-term "how will my life turn out" sense, but it still matters.)

We gave the kids a few days to think about where they really want to go, and last night we came to a unanimous decision. We are going to DC later this year! I am really excited. Faith wants to visit the National Mall. Lauren wants to see the Vietnam Memorial and Smokey the Bear (we had to have a chat about that one - she apparently missed the part in school where he is a cartoon, and the real-life bear that was named after him died in 1976). Jeff and I are excited to make a side-trip to Virginia to visit my sister and see some historical sites there. And Michael is just along for the ride. I don't think he really cares. For some reason, boys seem to lose their opinions when they turn 10 or so. I'm assuming they get them back at around 14, when their primary opinion will be "I hate everything and everyone around me."

Jeff has been to DC several times for work, but I've only been there once. What's on your list of family-friendly, "must-do" activities? (Besides the National Mall and various Smithsonian museums there.)


No comments: