Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Feeding issues part 2

Burke came up on Sunday morning to test Lauren. I had been making the rice milk formula for her (rice milk, brown rice protein, cod liver oil, olive oil, and supergreens). I would make it fresh each morning, but by her third bottle each day, she wouldn't eat it anymore. I'd put the bottle in her mouth and she started gagging. So I'd switch to goat milk, because she does need to eat. She never threw up at all, so I know she was okay with the rice milk formula, but I was worried that it might not have all the nutrients she needed, and I figured that by the third feeding, the formula must have somehow changed chemically or something, and that's why she wouldn't drink it. I really believe that the body knows what it needs - as we get older, though, I think that instinct gets stifled. Probably because we fill ourselves with things that clog up our bodies and muffle those signals. So we think we need to eat some chips or some candy when what we really need is to drink a glass of water. (But I digress.....)

Anyway, Burke worked his magic, and we found that the best combination for her was goat milk with the addition of the supergreens (thank you, thank you, thank you, April). So we've been doing that since Sunday, and she has done really well. She is no longer scratching at herself, and she isn't constipated anymore either. She is still a little bit congested, but is sleeping longer and longer at night without waking herself up with coughing fits. Last night she actually went until 5:30 this morning, which is the longest she has slept without coughing in a really, really long time. So she is improving. Now I just have to get me some supergreens of my own.

No comments: