Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Week 1 results

For my diet plan this last week, all I've had to do is eat breakfast every day. Whatever I eat must include protein and whole grains, and have no more than 4 grams of fat. It hasn't been too difficult. The hardest thing, honestly, is remembering to eat at all, because I tend to get so busy (especially in the morning) that I forget.

Anyway, I had my first "weigh-in" today, and over the last week, I've lost 2.5 pounds! I was so happy. For the next week, I'm still supposed to eat breakfast, but also make some changes to my lunches. The whole idea is to reprogram the body to expect more frequent, smaller meals, and to burn stored fat as energy. This is a pretty easy plan to follow, and I especially like that it isn't a fad where you entirely cut out one food group. There is an option at the end to cut out carbs completely for one week, but that's for people who have a large amount of body fat or weight to lose, and the instructor is pretty adamant that you ONLY do it for one week.

Today's class was all about sugar and carbohydrates. I already knew and do most of what she told us (thanks Mom). What I didn't know is that some of the excess sugar we eat winds up in our blood, and creates a sticky substance which increases our risk of heart attack, stroke, etc. She said that scientists used to warn about consuming cholesterol, but more and more, they're finding that it's actually the sugars that we need to eliminate (or at least drastically reduce). She gave us some good guidelines to follow as far as how many grams of sugar and carbs to eat each day. This is a good class.

6 comments:

April said...

Sugar is basically the one thing we could all live without and all benifit from doing so-

I believe 100% that the majority of our health problems come from too much sugar- only because we consume so much of it without knowing- sure meat and dairy are hard on the body too- but I think it's the amount of sugar we eat is what is so toxic to the body. It's in EVERYTHNG.

anyway- I think there are good carbs that don't make the body sluggish and then the not so good carbs- basically anything white- and carbs should only be 20% of our plate not 90%- good ol pasta- got to love that stuff.

I can't wait to get this baby out of me...I am going insane being pregnant. I HATE IT. I FEEL like the biggest blob around. Rolly polly.

Good job Cami.

Shelbee said...

Awesome, Cami! I pay pretty close attention to what foods I buy and eat, but I still love the sugar. I bet I'd lose weight if I just cut that out completely. I guess I'm trying to find a way around that before I resort to the drastic measure of cutting out dessert!
Good luck in the following weeks. I'll be cheering for you!

sevenpennys said...

That's great! good luck with the rest of it! What are your goals? Do you have a certain amount you want to lose? (I think you look great by the way...so I wouldn't worry about losing too much)

Connie said...

Good job. Yea, sugar acts like little glass shards in the blood stream. It sure is a bad thing. Darn it.

Levi and Cynthia Wilde said...

That sounds like an interesting class. I once took a class on Candida. It was almost gross to see how much sugar a "normal" person can consume in a day. There is refined sugar in EVERYTHING! I definitely believe that so so many health problems all begin with too much sugar!! Good luck!!

Rachel said...

Good for you and this progress. Keep up the good work.