Sunday, March 27, 2011

20 years ago....

March 27, 1991 - My family moved from Huntsville, Utah, to Delta, Utah. Best thing we ever did. Okay, so getting sealed in the temple in 1981 is the BEST. But moving to Delta is a close second.

I'm pretty sure we would all be a lot different if we hadn't had the experiences we did there. I probably would never have been so involved in high school. I definitely would have never worked at Bear Lake. I wouldn't have met Shelbee, or Jamie, or Stephanie, or Saronna.....

But then I also wouldn't have snuck out and gone toilet papering with the neighborhood boys. Actually, I still might have. They just would have been different neighborhood boys. (Yeah, nevermind. I wouldn't have snuck out with Mitch Montgomery - in case you were wondering, Mom.)

I wouldn't have learned to play the clarinet. I would never have been in the band, much less the marching band. I wouldn't have been on Seminary Council or the debate team or in FHA or the YCC. (Yes, I'm totally revealing my nerdiness here.)

I had a fantastic ward in Delta. We had a huge group of kids my age. When I was on my mission, we had something like 23 of us out at once. I had leaders who encouraged me and set me straight, and one who wrote me a thank-you note every time I did even the smallest thing. I love writing thank-you notes because of her. When I go back to visit my parents, there are a lot of new people in the ward. But most of them are pretty much the same. They still know my name, and my previous bishop even remembers Jeff's name.

I had amazing teachers at Delta High School. Mr. Sanders and Ms. Beckwith and Mr. Hansen - they were all teachers with tough reputations. To be honest, I didn't always like Mr. Hansen. But he of all of them is the one that believed in me the most. Those three challenged me, and I know that I am better because of them.

I only lived in Delta for about five years. I was in seventh grade when we moved there, and after high school graduation in 1996 I left for the summer (to work at Bear Lake, of course), and then moved to Ogden for college.

But when people ask where I'm from, I say I'm from Delta. I can't imagine a better place for me to have lived during those five years.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!Made me cry. I am so grateful to have moved here too. I am sure that you would have done many of those same things even in Huntsville. Remember I took you toilet papering, too.

Shelbee said...

I'm so glad you moved to Delta! We had a lot of good times. I think I might even have notes from middle school saved somewhere. I'm weird that way.
I bet you would have done plenty of great and wonderful things even if you hadn't moved to Delta. It's just who you are. However, no matter where you toilet papered, it would never be as cool as doing it in Sutherland. Where else can you toilet paper and be served root beer floats by the homeowner after all the neighborhood boys foil the toilet papering attempt with a water fight? Good times.

Rachel said...

Fun post. It was fun to learn some new things about you. Isn't "home" great? :)