Thursday, April 14, 2011

first date

Today Faith and I had our first date. Jeff and I have started doing this with the kids, and it's been pretty fun to have the one-on-one time.

Faith was so cute all day. She'd say, "Are we going to a date yet?" When it was finally time, she announced to Jeff that she was going to her date. I was planning to take her for a cupcake at the Vintage Cupcake Shoppe - but believe it or not, there was a "sold out" sign on the door and there were no more cupcakes for the day. HUH? Someone's not managing that place very well if they run out with over two hours left during business hours.

So we went to the mall and got cupcakes from the coffee shop instead. They weren't that great, but Faith doesn't care. Then we went to the play area for a while before heading over to Claire's for this:
Yes, those are pierced earrings. She was ecstatic to get pink flowers. It was totally on a whim, and we'll see if I regret my impulsiveness after six weeks of cleaning them three times a day. She was a champ, though. She cried for about three seconds (until I stuck a sucker in her mouth), and then she was thrilled to see her cute earrings in the mirror.

Then we stopped by a booth and bought these for all the kids:
Pillow Pets. As you can see, they all love them. Michael can't stop feeling the soft fur. Faith does whatever Michael does, and Lauren just lays on hers. Michael and Faith have been wanting them for a while, and they were on sale at the booth, so I just gave in. So much for not spending money this week. I still haven't bought any food, though, which was the real goal. (The kids are drinking powdered milk just fine, by the way.)

Don't you love these?
We also rode the train in the mall. Faith kept saying, "I'm so excited! I love the train!" I love having some time just with her. She's my biggest challenge right now. The terrible 2's have nothing on a 3-year-old. But even when I just want to scream in frustration, she's also so cute that I want to fall over laughing. Love that girl.

6 comments:

Callie Hansen said...

What a great idea! I love the earrings!!! I've been thinking about doing Averie's but can't quite talk Gary into it yet. I love Lauren's reactions to the pillow pet. So cute.

Hollie said...

Jared & I started doing dates with the kids a couple of years ago and I love it. We're not always consistent, but it's so much fun. The kids think it's the best thing ever.

I love the earrings, so cute. I've been wanting to pierce Addison's but she's a bit hesitant. Faith looks so much like you in that picture. Such pretty girls.

What's with the pillow pets? My kids love them too and it's so funny because Delilah does the exact same thing as Lauren. She just lays on top of it. When I saw her pictures it cracked me up...it looked so familiar. =)

Connie said...

I love the dating idea. Hope they'll always want to go. You are both great parents.

sevenpennys said...

It looks like ya'll had a lot of fun :). We've started doing dates with the kids too. Riley and I've both had one with Keely. (Sonya's still a little small). I love her earrings! So cute! I just want to wait until our girls can take care of them themselves before we do it (I just barely talked Riley into agreeing to let them get them at 8-used to be 14 for him).

Levi and Cynthia Wilde said...

I love one-on-ones! I think they are so good for children. When me and my siblings were younger every Sunday my dad set aside a 1/2 hour or whatever for each of us and we got to go into his "special" study room and just talk. I loved that "special" time with my dad and it definitely created a strong bond for us.
Such a good idea!!

Becca said...

What fun! I should start that with my kids. It's as fabulous idea. Thanks for sharing!