Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Urge to Purge

AUGH!!! All of this junk is driving me crazy! Since Jeff and I will be turning one of the basement bedrooms into OUR bedroom, we've had to completely empty it for "demolition" to begin. There's paneling and ceiling tiles to come down, and carpet to come out. We found that the ceiling tiles are glued to drywall. Why would you do that? Is the mudding and taping of drywall so hard that instead you pay even more money to hang disgusting ceiling tiles? I'm so confused with why our home's previous owners made some of the decisions they did.

Anyway, so yes, all of the books, puzzles, games, random furniture, etc., that has accumulated in that room for the last five years now has to go somewhere else. And even when the room is finished, it will be a bedroom, not a junk room anymore. So I have been on a de-junking tirade. Victims of the tirade include most of our Christmas decorations (the ones we didn't even get out this year, and didn't miss); our Brazilian and Cabo Verdeano music; all of the sticker books Michael has finished; about half of our toys; the kids' Halloween costumes; and even the huge bean bag that used to belong to my parents. That's the only thing that I really think I'll miss. The kids LOVED playing on that bean bag, and Jeff and I really enjoyed watching them play on it. But seriously, where could we keep it? I posted it on FreeCycle today, and someone picked it up this afternoon.

Some things went in the trash, some went on FreeCycle. I've posted some of the other things on KSL classifieds, and the rest will be stored in our attic until warmer weather arrives, at which point we will have a yard sale. My hope is that we'll make enough money to buy the king-size bed that we've always wanted. Anyone who wants to join us in the yard sale is more than welcome.

2 comments:

Mark and Emily said...

It's so funny you blogged about this...something very, very similar will be my next post. I am feeling the exact same way!

Becca said...

I would love to take a snow shovel to our basement and call 1-800-Got-Junk to come take away all the crap we've accumulated over the years! You've inspired me!