Thursday, April 15, 2010

Catching Up

I feel like I have a million thing to write about. But whenever I sit down to write, I get overwhelmed by the amount of things to write about, so I shut the laptop and don't write anything. So this is a catch-up post, just to document a few things that have been going on.

We went to the zoo on April 10 with my family. It was a lot of fun, and the kids loved seeing all the animals and riding on the carousel. When we were finished there, my parents brought Michael and Faith back to our house and stayed with them overnight so that Jeff and I could go to Park City for our anniversary.

But we didn't really get into Park City. We ended up going to the Gateway and watching a movie (Date Night - hilarious, but definitely not for kids), then walking around the Clark Planetarium. That place is so cool. Then we drove up to Park City, but only got as far as Kimball Junction, where we ate at Loco Lizard. Seriously. Best fish tacos I've had in Utah. I will totally go back there.

We spent the night in Coalville, then had lunch at Taggart's Grill before heading up to Huntsville to my grandparents' house, where my parents met us with the kids. It was a very nice and much-needed break from ordinary life.

I've been searching for some time to find some new furniture for our living room. I hate (HATE) our couches, and I am SO ready to get rid of them. I'm going to bring the couch in our basement up to the upstairs living room, get rid of the couch and loveseat that is currently there, and get a couple of chairs to replace the loveseat. I've been looking for some chairs to recover. (I can't just buy chairs that will work as is, you know. I have to make this as difficult as possible.) Anyway, I had looked at several thrift stores and hadn't found anything that I really loved. But yesterday I went into the D.I. on a whim and found..... two matching chairs that are in great shape (structurally), super comfortable, and just the style I'm looking for. Yay!! And even better - $15 for the pair!! I also found a really comfortable chair to recover for the girls' room (when the basement is finished and the girls have a room of their own). I don't really like my rocker/glider anymore, so I will be selling that at our yard sale and replacing it with the one I bought yesterday. So now I have three very big projects sitting in my living room, because there isn't room for them in the basement. I went to JoAnn today and got fabric for the two matching chairs, but that cost enough money that I'm thinking the other one is going to stay 70s gold velour for a while.

And in other news, I am doing the couch to 5K running program. No, I am not planning to run a 5K. Yes, I still hate running. But I am determined to go through boot camp at my gym, which starts in May. But I don't think I have the endurance to make it through that program. So I'm getting in shape to get in shape. I'm on week 2 (of 9), and it's going fine so far. But seriously, somebody please tell me why running is so great. I have lost 4 pounds since I started, but I don't see myself ever running just because I enjoy it. And I'm pretty sure that the 4 pounds is as much from not eating so much junk - and eating lots more fruits and veggies - as it is from running. I do feel really, really good, though, so I'm happy about that.

That's about it for now. Hopefully I can keep up with things now and not feel quite so overwhelmed. I'll be sure to take before and after photos of my first upholstery projects.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Ok, so I should have read this blog before commenting on the last one. It's great you got new furniture. If you need anything from my work I'd be glad to help although we don't have upholstery fabric. You could make some pilllows though. I am starting up the couch to 5K program again. I left off with week 4 (I think it is) last fall. Monday, I started where I left off and couldn't make the run all the way on the 1/2 mile, but today I ran the 1/2 mile twice and did the 1/4 mile twice and I did my 10 flights of 30 stairs and I was so proud of myself that I patted myself on the back several times. Man, I hate running but I'm hoping it will help to take off this extra 10 lbs. I've gained over the last 2 years. I don't plan on running a marathon, but if I can keep progressing I might. I like to hear how you do with the program. I hope Gary is doing well also.

April said...

running is all in the mind and the endorphines that kick in during and after...

all in the head... People who love running have addictive behaviors I think..LOL...no I love running...when I get in shape I like it. I hate it at first...so who knows- you might just end up being a marathon runner or something- I hear an Ipod helps-

Go Cami. I think you are looking great as it is!

And I can't wait to see your chair(s) when they are finished.

Unknown said...

I love the couch potato to 5k running program, I did it last year. I had never really run in my life and had zero endurance. But I followed it and was able to run 5k in 30 minutes just like it promised. I kind of backslid for a few months though and have had to halfway start over though. I am like you, I don't like running, I am bored out of my mind and have never had that "runners high" I always hear about. It helps to have someone to run with though, so let me know if you want a partner!