Monday, April 19, 2010

Why I Love My Ward/Neighborhood

I've been thinking a lot lately about how fortunate I am to live here. I just wanted to write down a few of the things I like most about living in this neighborhood and going to church in our ward.

1. Mr. Gabaldon - the man next door who likes to talk over the fence. He thought Mom was my sister, and he gave Michael finger puppets and a cute desk. Today he asked me if we had any Legos, because he has some he wants to get rid of.

2. April, Elissa, Hollie, Stacey, Brandy, Lisa, Maria, Rachel, Whitnie, Emily, MaryNell, Kazia, Shari, Lindsay, Kelly..... (there are a lot more - really).

3. The "young" Sunday School class.

4. That I get to go to the "young" Sunday School class instead of the "old" one, usually. If you were there in the "old" one last Sunday, I'm sure you understand.

5. Brother Clatterbuck - yesterday he randomly knocked on our door and asked if he could till our garden for us. He had been across the street tilling Una's, and on his way home figured he'd stop at our house, too.

6. A small-town feel. Really. This neighborhood and ward are largely made up of older, retired people, who have lived in their homes for decades. They all know each other, each other's families, etc. I really feel like the people here genuinely care about each other. Everyone is always out taking care of someone else.

7. No cliques. True, everyone kind of has their circle of friends. But everyone is still friends with everyone else. I've never felt any of that high school drama.

8. The other neighbors. Jeff and I are not terribly friendly. By that, I mean that we don't go over to our neighbors' homes and chat for no other reason than to visit. But I really like all of our neighbors here. We wave to each other, talk over the fence, bring each other small gifts at Christmas. It's pleasant.

9. Sister Clatterbuck. Every time someone in our ward or neighborhood dies, she goes around and takes up a collection for flowers. She's been doing it for at least the last five or six years. And with all the older folks around here, she does it a lot. But I love that she has taken it upon herself to perform that service.

I am so glad that our house didn't sell. Yes, it would be nice to have more space and a bigger yard. But I would have been so sad to leave my neighborhood. I feel really, really blessed to live here.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Cute post Cami. Brother Clatterbuck is my hero. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know me, but I know him and watch all the service he gives to people. Every snow storm he is out plowing. Soon after we moved in he came and trimmed our apple tree because he felt like it. In return, I never did bring him apples (still feel like a jerk for that one. ) -I'm glad you didn't move either. I'm not great at getting to know people or being super comfortable with people, but I feel comfortable with you. You have always been very friendly and nice to me and I appreciate that. I'm always telling Ryan how cool you are because you are very genuine. And I love genuine. :)

Hollie said...

Very sweet! I feel the exact same way. I love this ward/neighborhood too. In fact that's the main reason I stopped crying myself to sleep every night after we first moved to Utah (just kidding...kind of). =)
I always tell everyone how amazing our ward is. Everybody truly cares for everyone else and wants to see them do well and help out wherever they can. I always tell people how impressed I am at the kindess and love you can feel. Everyone just gets along. There is no caddiness or gossip going around, which is so refreshing.
I'm glad you didn't move too! It's been so fun getting to know you better. You are a wonderful woman.

Elissa said...

I love the ward for all those reasons too. And I too am very glad you guys didn't move. when it comes time to expand again, you can just add a 2nd story to the house...some people have done it, right? Then you'll never have to move. :)