Sunday, November 2, 2008

Funny Story

So Jeff decided to fix the fluorescent light in the basement today. It stopped working quite a while ago, and we found out that we had to replace the ballast in it. So Jeff went to the store and got what we needed. But while he was fixing it, he accidentally pushed a bolt that was hanging down up into the ceiling. There was no way to get it out, and we needed that bolt to fasten the new ballast into the fixture. So he looked at me and said, "We're going to have to get into the attic." Or maybe I said it to him. Getting into the attic has been a big fear of mine, for some reason. We have never actually looked in our attic. I have visions of me opening the entrance and having spiders crawl out all over me. So I haven't brought myself to take a look yet. Feeling resigned to finally do it, I went upstairs to change into a long-sleeved shirt so the insulation wouldn't make me itch all over. Five minutes later, as I'm coming back down the stairs, I met him on his way up. And you know what he said? "We don't have to get into the attic. The light's in the basement!" It took me a minute, but then I realized that the ceiling of the basement does not lead into the attic. Phew. No spiders today!! But we still had to figure out how to get the bolt out. Well, we never figured it out. We rigged up another solution. But yes, you'll be happy to know that I am indeed smart enough to figure out that I would never have gotten to the top side of that light fixture by getting into the attic.