Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Good to know...

Our furnace has been acting up lately. I keep the thermostat set at 70 degrees, and the furnace usually kicks on when it gets down to 69. But lately, it has been getting down to 65 or so and not turning on. So I called the repair man. The flame sensor was dirty. While he was cleaning it, I asked him if there was any way to run the furnace when the power is out (we don't have a wood-burning stove). There isn't. He said the best alternative is a gas fireplace. When he was finished cleaning the flame sensor, I asked him to take a look at a mystery contraption in our basement bedrooms. We have a unit that is installed in the wall between those two rooms, and it has a gas supply line to it and a spot for a pilot light. So he turned on the gas and lit the pilot light, and voila!! We have heat in our basement bedrooms! So Mom and Dad, you can sleep comfortably when you spend the night again! (Can I get a cheer?) And the best part is, this wall unit is set up just like a gas fireplace, that doesn't require electricity. So even if the power goes out, we have heat!! I am so excited. Dumb, I know, that something so stupid makes me so excited, but it does. I hate to be cold. Really hate to be cold.

1 comment:

Connie said...

I really like the news and I too am excited. Can't wait to feel the heat. Love, MOM