Thursday, July 15, 2010

Boot Camp Wrap-Up

I know how much you all love reading about boot camp. But hey, this blog is as much a journal for me as it is an update for you, so bear with me. This is my last week of boot camp. Actually, it's the last week of this session, but I like it so much that I've signed up for the next session as well. I won't take the diet class again, but I will continue to follow the plan.

We had a timed strength test at the beginning of this session, and then we repeated that same test last week. Basically, we counted how many pull-ups we could do in one minute, then how many push-ups, then how many sit-ups. Here are my results:

Pull-ups: then, 1; now, 9
Push-ups: then, 8; now, 21
Sit-ups: then, 9; now, 23

So I've definitely gotten stronger. I was thrilled, because I didn't even realize how much I had improved until we did that second test.

And about the pull-ups, don't be too impressed. We use huge rubber bands to help us. There is no way on earth I could actually do 9 pull-ups without that band. Maybe 1. Maybe.

I also had my final weigh-in and body composition testing for the diet class. Over the last eight weeks, I've dropped 11 pounds overall (lost 14 pounds of fat, but gained 3 pounds of muscle), 5% body fat (I'm now in the "healthy" range for body fat), and 6 overall inches (1 from thighs, 1 from hips, 1 from chest, 1 from arms, and 2 from waist). My lean muscle mass increased by 3 pounds. Becky says that after measuring your lean muscle mass, women should add 20-30 pounds to that number to get your ideal weight. I'm still not in my "ideal weight range," but I'm close. I love that we don't go by the traditional charts, because I just don't fit into those. If you look the charts, I should weigh 142-156. But my lean muscle mass is currently 138. That means that I'd only have 4-18 pounds of fat, which is less than healthy. (Yes, I just told you that my ideal weight is 158-168.)

Boot camp makes me tired. I often take naps on days when we have it. But overall I have a lot more energy. And I almost never have headaches anymore. When I do, it always goes away when I drink some water. I haven't taken anything for a headache for a long time. I just feel better. And I really like that my clothes are baggy - although that means I have to spend money to get new ones that fit. Today I plan to spend some time altering a lot of my pants and shorts and see if I can make them last longer. I did buy a new swimsuit, and (TMI alert for you male readers) I'll need to get some new bras. I'm pretty sure about 3 pounds of weight came off of that area.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

You look great. Every time I see you, I notice. Seriously. And I am still impressed with the pull-ups. Even when I was in pretty good shape, my big pull-up achievement was 1/2 a pull-up. So good for you and all your progress. I already can't wait to get in better shape after this pregnancy. Ugh.

Levi and Cynthia Wilde said...

Wow!! You're a amazing! Don't you just love the way you feel after a good workout! I don't think I've ever done a pull up in my life so I'm still impressed you did nine!!

Connie said...

Isn't it great to know you have accomplished so much? Good job.

McBride Family said...

so awesome - i have several ward friends that go and i have thought about it - maybe one of these days, post baby, i will join you. congratulations!!!

Elissa said...

you go girl! I have never been able to do a pull-up. It was misery in 5th grade gym when the teacher told us we weren't leaving until we did at least one. I was the last to leave. I just hung there for a while, wondering when she would believe me.

Heidi said...

That's awesome, way to go! Isn't in awesome to have your clothes get to big!