Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Here's a challenge for you: write a brief note about five people who have had a good influence on you. But no family members or friends you see or talk to regularly. I've been thinking a lot lately about some good examples in my life. In no particular order:

1. Bishop Wadman from the student ward - he was one of the best bishops I've ever had. He loved everyone no matter who they were, what their situation was. He had a special sense of what people needed, and he did whatever he had to in order to meet those needs.

2. Wende Call - she was the general manager at the Days Inn when I was the Front Desk Manager. She taught me that being a good person has little to do with religion, and everything to do with character, integrity, honesty, etc.

3. Jamie Jepsen - what do I say about Jamie? She knew how to have fun! She made friends everywhere and was really good at making me forget whatever was wrong. She showed me that it's possible to have fun and still work hard and get the job done right.

4. Becca Winder - my favorite mission companion. She showed me what Christlike love looks like. She was so good at lifting those around her, and she never had to put others down to make herself look or feel better. She was amazing and humble. And she made some killer apple pie.

5. Terry Hansen - my high school debate coach. He believed in me, encouraged me, challenged me, sometimes knocked me off my high horse. He also introduced me to BLAB, which became a huge part of my life in high school and the early college years.

There are others, of course - too many to name. My life would be much different if it weren't for the influences of these people. Who has influenced you?

No comments: