Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Paranoia

Recently I had a dream that really freaked me out. It prompted a Family Home Evening about safety. Specifically about "stranger danger." We talked to Michael about what to do if he gets lost in a store (find a mom with kids and ask for help), what to do if someone besides us comes to pick him up from school (ask for the "secret word"), and what to do if someone tries to take him (scream at the top of his lungs, "You're not my Mommy/Daddy!" and fight back).

I've never been one to worry much about strangers. I know there are bad, horrible people out there. Believe me, I know. But I really believe that almost everyone is good. At least, they're not out to hurt my kids. But it's kind of been in the back of my mind for a while that we should talk more about what to do in various situations. So when I had this bad dream, I think I overreacted. Michael will probably now be terrified of anyone he doesn't know. That's not what I was going for. I just want him to know what to do if he gets lost, or if some freak tells him he's supposed to pick him up from school. I don't like living with the idea that everyone is out to get you, and the last thing Michael needs is to have that feeling.

Just a side note, though - even though I don't want him to be constantly worried about strangers, I think we're going to have to talk about this a lot more with him. When I asked him what he should do if he and Faith were outside playing and someone started to take Faith, he said, "Say, 'please give me my sister back.'"

At least we've taught him to be polite.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

My favorite part was your demonstration of how loud you should yell "YOU'RE NOT MY MOM!!!"