Saturday, September 13, 2008

NOT Thankful Saturday

I spent a lot of time yesterday weeding one of our flower beds, and as I did, I realized that although I am very thankful for a lot of things, there are some things that I am definitely NOT thankful for. For example:
  • Bermuda grass. What's up with grass that you can't kill? Well, I guess you can kill it with grass killer, but you can't put grass killer all over your nice grass, now, can you? Of course not. So instead, we get stuck with ugly, scratchy grass that spreads by runners and puts down roots everywhere. And it's almost impossible to pull out. Yuck.
  • Thorns on rose bushes. Why can't we have pretty roses without the thorns? I can't tell you how many times I got poked in the fingers, hands, arms, back, shoulders, etc., while I was trying to get the weeds out from behind the roses.
  • Owies. Michael got two owies while he was helping me. First, he dropped the pruning clippers on his foot and cut his big toe (I know, I should not let him hold the clippers - but try telling him that). Not a major cut, but still, I think it was the most blood he's ever seen, and it kind of freaked him out. Then he fell down and skinned his knee. He was really sad about the knee. After we had cleaned it up, he crawled into my lap and kept telling me to look at his owie. I asked if he wanted me to kiss it better, and he said no, just to look at it. Then he'd try to push my head down to about two inches from his knee so I really could look at it carefully.
  • Centipedes. This is by far the worst of today's unthankfuls. Just the sight of a centipede gives me the willies. I can do worms, snakes, and most spiders and bugs, but things that have more than eight legs just should not be. Other creepy-crawlies that should not be: crickets, cockroaches, and earwigs.

No comments: