Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Some Firsts for Michael

1. Michael gave his first talk in Primary on Sunday. He did so well. I was worried that he wouldn't speak in front of the other kids, so we went down to the church during the week and practiced getting up and standing at the pulpit and speaking into the microphone without touching it. And he did awesome. I had to tell him what to say (of course), but he spoke loudly enough for the kids to hear him, and he wasn't nervous at all. In fact, when we got into sacrament meeting, he asked if he could go up to the stand and give his talk in there, too.

2. Michael sang Happy Birthday to my dad on Sunday. This made me laugh, because I had told him, "Say, 'Happy Birthday, Grandpa!'" But then he just started singing the song over the phone. It was cute. Hopefully, Dad enjoyed it.

3. Michael had his first "real" haircut yesterday. I needed my hair trimmed, and so did he. But I'm really not good at cutting his hair, so I took him with me. I thought he would wiggle too much and be too shy to say anything to the stylist. But I was wrong. He talked her ear off. He told her all about his sister Faith, and his friends Dagobenz, Nugov, Dugov, and Zach (three of which are imaginary - can you guess which ones?), and how he's four and on his birthday he will be four and a half, and he's going to get a bike. I think the stylist was amused. When she offered him a sucker at the end, though, he refused. He likes suckers, but he told the stylist that he was "going to get some root beer from Macey's for my treat." That was the bribe for letting her cut his hair.

4. Michael has finally learned to ride a bike using the pedals (although he calls them puddles) instead of pushing himself around. We've been telling him that if he could learn to use the pedals, we would get him a bike for his birthday. So we went to WalMart the other day and he picked out his bike. We haven't bought it yet, though. Kind of hard to explain to a soon-to-be four-and-a-half-year-old why he can't ride his new bike yet.

1 comment:

Rod said...

I thought the singing was awesome!!!