Sunday, September 12, 2010

trilobites

Last weekend (yes, I'm behind... still) we took the kids to Delta. There is a place out west of there to dig trilobites, which are basically fossilized bugs. Sounds delightful, huh? It was actually pretty fun. Michael had a great time and thought he was so cool to ride in Grandpa's truck with "just the boys" (my dad, Jeff, and him). The girls rode in the van. We are not so cool.

Anyway, we dug for trilobites. That basically consists of hitting shale with a hammer until it splits, and then you look between the layers for a trilobite.We found quite a few. After we had done that for a while, we drove around. Dad took us to a hermit cave, where (if I understand correctly) someone who had returned from WWII lived. He built this cave out of an overhang in the rock, and he had a fireplace, gardens, ponds, etc. It was pretty neat, although I am quite sure that hermit life is not for me.
Michael also saw his first ant hill. He had been eager to find one since I told him that some ants live in the ground and build hills. That kid loves animals, and wants to know everything about all of them. It's exhausting. Thank goodness Grandma Sabin knows so much about them. I just tell him, "Next time you see Grandma Sabin, you can ask her."

That weekend there was also a "fly in" at the Delta Airport. They were having a candy drop, so we drove out to let the kids pick up some candy. It was fun to see the ultra-lights that were on display, and the kids had a great time.

1 comment:

Shelbee said...

I wouldn't have thought there were still trilobites out there after all these years of people digging them! That hermit cabin belonged to Bob Stinson. I think that was his name. I remember my grandpa taking us out there as kids. He and his brothers knew the guy. It's really interesting to hear about him. It looks like you guys had lots of fun!