Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The crabby man

Okay, I know you're all sick of work posts. But I have to share one story, about a guest we had last night. I'll call him Ray. His name wasn't Ray, but for some reason that name came to mind first.

Ray came in on a fairly busy night. We had rooms, but they were selling pretty quickly. He asked what our room rate was.

Me: I have a smoking room with one queen, or a non-smoking room with two queens tonight. The one queen is $78.99 and the two queens is $89.99 plus tax.

Ray: You can do better than that.

Me: Do you have Triple A or AARP, or a Best Western Rewards Card?

Ray: I have Good Sam.

Me: I can do the Triple A rate, which would be $71.09 for the smoking queen or $80.99 for the non-smoking two queens.

Ray: You're going to make me drive all the way to Burley, aren't you? (He wasn't joking, he really was not happy with these rates.)

Me: I hope you don't have to go all the way to Burley. That's still a couple more hours.

Ray: Well that's where I was headed.

Me: .... (silence - what am I supposed to say at this?)

Ray: You really can't do any better than that?

Me: Not tonight. We're really busy and I don't have many rooms left.

Ray: I guess I'll take it then.

Me: Did you want the smoking room with one bed or the non-smoking room with two?

Ray: Well I'm the only one in the room. I can only sleep in one bed.

Me: Yes, but do you mind having a smoking room?

Ray: If it stinks, I'm never coming back here.

Me: Well, it probably does stink.

Ray: Then give me the non-smoking room, but it's only a dollar more than the smoking room.

Me: I can give you the non-smoking room, but the rate will be $80.99 plus tax.

He kind of throws his credit card down and sighs in exasperation. Meanwhile, I'm thinking "maybe you should drive to Burley."

Me: I need to see some photo ID with your credit card.

Ray: No you don't.

Me: Yes, I do need to see some ID.

Ray: Why?

Me: Your card isn't signed, and it is our policy to check the ID on all credit cards.

Ray: Well you're the first one in five states to ask for my ID. (Like he wasn't willing to show me his ID. It was WAY too much work to open up his wallet again and show me the ID through the little plastic window that most men have their ID in. And besides, people in five states CAN'T be wrong.)

Me: Well I guess I'm the only smart one, then.

Yes, I really said that. I was reaching the point of taking his registration form back from him and telling him that if he really had a problem with proving that his name was Ray, he could keep driving.

Most people thank me when I ask for ID. (Okay, MOST people don't thank me. But of the people who comment about it, there are far more thanks than complaints. After all, it really is for their protection.)

I'm sure when I go into work today I'll hear about how he complained about every little thing until the desk clerk gave him a hefty discount. I wish he had just gone to Burley.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Ray is much too nice of a name for that man.

Elissa said...

You are the only smart one in 5 states apparently. Maybe after all his complaining, you could say...."oh look at that...both rooms just filled up. You're too late. Goodbye. Hopefully there's another hotel between here and Burley."

aje said...

If it is the "Ray" I think you are talking about...he came in the next morning while I was giving a property tour. Poor Heather. She said he was nice to her, though...she'll have to give you the details. And btw - he is still here...