Wednesday, September 30, 2009

small successes

1. I woke up late on Sunday. As in, 8:00. I normally get up at least by 7:00 so that we have time to get two kids and ourselves fed, dressed, and to church by 9:00. But I didn't set my alarm Saturday night, because Faith has been waking up around 6:00, and I figured I wouldn't need my other alarm clock. But not last Sunday. As I said, I woke up at 8:00, and had a minor panic attack. But miracles never cease - the two kids and myself were fed, dressed, and to church on time. Jeff wasn't feeling well, so he stayed home until Sacrament meeting. But the rest of us made it!

2. Faith did very well in Nursery. The first week she went, she did awesome. Not a tear. But the next couple of weeks were rough. She cried when we left, and when we'd peek in through the window, she was always sitting on one of the leaders' laps with a sad look and big tears in her eyes. But this time, she cried for a minute when I brought her in. I got her involved with a toy, and when she went to get a different toy, I left. And the leaders said she did great the rest of the day. So hopefully that trend will continue.

3. Jeff and I met for lunch at Olive Garden today. The kids were with us, of course, and you'll never guess..... Michael ate spaghetti! At a restaurant! He's been eating "red noodles" at home for a while now, but we've never been able to get him to eat them at a restaurant. But today he decided that the incentive of having my piece of chocolate as well as his was enough to eat 15 bites. And even better, he fed them to himself. Can you believe it? It sounds stupid to most of you, I'm sure. But it is actually the first time ever that he has eaten any restaurant food, ever (well, besides root beer and Sprite and chocolate milk). We were very proud of him, and we made sure to praise him excessively.

4. I sold our old dining room table for $20. Not bad for a free table from Melissa. Our carport is slowly being cleaned out, and our neighbors are surely relieved that we are not, in fact, opening a thrift store in our driveway. One of the dressers has been picked up. The daybed and king-sized headboard I bought have been moved to the storage shed. The old dining chairs were broken apart and put in the trash today. Now we just have Riley and Nikki's dresser (come get it, hint hint), a dresser I'm trying to sell on KSL, and the rocking chair that Jeff is refinishing.

2 comments:

Connie said...

Yeah Michael. Keep it up. Soon you'll be eating steak.

Malinda said...

I can very much relate to your excitement over the restaurant eating. I still remember the happy dance that Nate and I did when Ben was 3 and 1/2 and said “gig ock” (aka “big rock”). No big deal for most kids, but it was the first time Ben had put two words together and we were ecstatic. So a big HURRAY for Michael from this house!