Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Problem solved... for now

Yay!! I found someone to work the audit shift! Her name is Season (yes, really), and I think she'll be great. She starts tomorrow getting trained during the day on our computer system, etc., and hopefully by next week she'll be able to get some training on the audit, and then hopefully the week after that, she'll be able to give Kay a few nights off. That guy deserves a raise.

Jeff mentioned to a co-worker of his that I was trying to find someone for this position. That co-worker mentioned it to his wife, and she called me and suggested her friend Season. I told her about the job, and said that if Season was interested, she could call me and set up an interview. Season called me about half an hour later, and I interviewed her yesterday morning.

On Saturday, I was up in Huntsville, and I mentioned that I was trying to find someone for this job. Someone suggested my cousin Adam. He's 19, and looking for a job. I was a little hesitant at first, because I've almost NEVER seen a "hire someone from your family" deal work out.

(Okay, there's Jerry and Adam who work together, and our manager Brandon's dad is the owner of this hotel; but seriously, when I worked at Days Inn, my front desk manager hired at various times his father, his cousin, and his sister, and all three were DISASTERS.)

Adam called me later that night and said Melissa had told him we were hiring. I told him about the job, and he said he was interested, so we set up an interview. Adam still seems to me like a little kid, so I was almost doing this just to humor him.

He showed up to his interview in a shirt and tie, and he was very impressive. Truthfully, it was a hard decision between him and Season. I ended up going with her for two reasons: 1) she already had hotel-like experience; and 2) she definitely has more life experience, and I felt like she is more likely to make the right call when dealing with the more "interesting" people that we see. And also, I don't want to feel like I have to report to my family about my employees. Can you imagine? "How's Adam doing at work?" "Why did Adam have to work Sunday?" "Why don't you give Adam a raise?" All of you who know my family KNOW that would happen. And you know who would be asking, and you know why I don't want to deal with it.

But seriously, if Season doesn't work out, I will call Adam. I do think he'd be great. He was very impressive - definitely not the little kid that I think of when I think of all my cousins.

No comments: