Sunday, October 17, 2010

surprise testimony meeting

Our bishop occasionally throws us a curve ball. Like today, in Sacrament Meeting. He had "to be announced" on the program. Not a good sign. Then he asked all of the people in the room who speak a foreign language to come up and bear our testimonies in that language.

When I found out, I started shaking. Is that weird? I was just profoundly grateful to have that opportunity. I kind of think of Portuguese as the language that my testimony was born in. I mean, I had a testimony before my mission, but that's really where so many things were solidified for me. I haven't spoken Portuguese really at all since Jeff and I went to Portugal in 2004. And I haven't really used gospel language in Portuguese since my mission. I'm pretty sure half of it came out Spanish (since Michael is learning Spanish in school, I've been trying to brush up a little on that). But it still felt good. And it was fun to hear everyone speak all these cool languages - we had Tagalog, Vietnamese, German, Spanish, Portuguese, and at least two languages that I didn't even understand the name of the language - from Malaysia or something. It was neat.

1 comment:

April said...

I did speak Spanish! Hermano for Irmao...

Wow- it has been a long long time since I have spoken full on sentences in Portuguese-

But after we got in the car, Chay was still emotional from that experience and he said my testimony really touched him- so it is true- the spirit speaks in all languages...even choppy portuguese. I can't wait to go back to Brazil and serve there with Chay.