Monday, April 6, 2009

General Conference with a 3-year-old

Michael has learned who President Monson, President Eyring, and President Uchtdorf are. He looks for their faces in each new issue of the Ensign, and gets especially excited when he sees all of them together.

Yesterday we turned on the Sunday morning session of General Conference, and Michael was excited to see President Monson conduct.

"Look! It's President Monson!" as he bounces from the knees, which is what he does when he's excited. "Where's President Uchtdorf and President Eyring?" I explained that they were there, but it was President Monson's turn to speak, and I'm sure we would see the others in a little while.

Every time a new speaker got up, we would have the following conversation:

Michael: Who's that?
Me: That's Elder ______.
Michael: I don't like him.
Me: I do.
Michael: I only like President Monson and President Eyring and President Uchtdorf.

Exact conversation, every time. Then, when the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang, he asked who they were. I talked to him about the choir, and pointed out the director.

Michael: Who's that?
Me: His name is Mack Wilberg. He helps the choir to sing pretty.
Michael: He does?
Me: Yup, see how he's waving his arm around? That tells the choir when to sing, so they all sing together and it sounds pretty.

Well, for the rest of the day, every time he heard music (even in the car AFTER conference, driving to and from my grandparents' house) he kept asking, "Who helps them sing pretty?" And I'd answer, "Mack Wilberg." Poor kid. Now he's going to think that Mack Wilberg is the name of every chorister he ever sees.

And side note: when President Uchtdorf spoke and when President Monson closed the Sunday morning session, Michael sat down and watched very closely until they were finished.

Now, if only he liked the other general authorities.

2 comments:

Shari said...

I think that is pretty good for a 3-year old. I couldn't get any of my kids to sit down at all for any of it, no matter who was speaking.

Elissa said...

He just makes me laugh--so cute! Every time you write something about Michael, I always read it to Jake. Makes us smile :)