Friday, April 10, 2009

Washington DC

I'm in DC for a few days. Jeff had to come to take a class for work, and since the hotel and his airfare is paid (thanks, U.S. Government), and since our anniversary is on Sunday, we decided to make this an anniversary trip. Callie has the kids for a few days (thank you, thank you, thank you).

I arrived on Wednesday, after three flights. It was a looooooong day. The flight out of Salt Lake was terrible - so bumpy. It was the worst I remember being on (except for the one between Portugal and Cape Verde where we flew through a lightning storm and our plane was struck by lightning. I swear, the ONLY reason we stayed in the sky is because there were missionaries on that flight.)

I hate to fly. I get that same feeling that I get when I watch a horror movie. You know, like something awful is about to happen, but you just don't know when. I seriously spend the entire take-off time praying that I will feel peace in my heart and know that things will be okay. I know it's irrational. Jeff thinks it's hilarious. But I do. It doesn't make me enjoy flying, but it does help me feel peace. That, and I'm convinced that God will not allow me to die until I've accomplished my greatest challenge - helping Michael learn how to eat.

What will I do once he eats? How will I calm my nerves then?

Anyway. Washington DC is fantastic. I'm so glad I came. Yesterday I went to the National Archives, the Washington Monument, Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials, and the World War I, World War II, Vietnam, and Korean War Memorials. Then I went to the Smithsonian Castle and the Air and Space Museum. Then I met Jeff when he got out of class, and we went to the National Museum of American History (way cool). Today I'm going to Arlington National Cemetery, then to the National Museum of Natural History, and then meeting Jeff (he gets out of class early today). We have tickets to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Then I don't know what else we'll do.

I've taken tons of photos, but since I don't have my camera dock, I'll have to wait till I get home to upload them. That will be a long post.

3 comments:

aje said...

Wow. Sounds like you are staying crazy busy! It sounds like a ton of fun, though!

Mark and Emily said...

D.C. is awesome, have fun, and happy anniversary!!

Mandi said...

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like you had tons of fun. See you soon!