Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Settle in for a long post

Washington DC was amazing. I'm so glad I was able to go. Thanks again to everyone who made it possible (Mom, Callie and Gary, Jeff, and of course, the Government - couldn't have done it without you).

I only had two full days there. So the first day, I started at the National Archives.

I saw this (Declaration of Independence):

and this (The Constitution. This is just the first page. I did see all four, but come on, you can't read it, and all the pages look pretty much the same in these photos):

I teared up when I saw these documents. I've been reading a book about the Founding Fathers and the basic principles and beliefs that they shared. It was especially touching to read about them while in this city and in these surroundings. What wisdom and foresight and inspiration they had.

Then I walked across the street to the Mall. Here is the Washington Monument. I didn't go up to the top. I just took photos.

As close as I got to the White House (apparently, you have to schedule tours with your Congressional representative, several months in advance):

Then I walked to the World War II Memorial:

We were there during the annual Cherry Blossom Festival, so the trees were all blooming. It was beautiful.

Next I came to the Vietnam Memorial:

And then to the Lincoln Memorial.

A view of the Washington Monument from the terrace in front of the Lincoln Memorial:

Mr. Lincoln himself.

Next was the Korean War Memorial. This one was probably the most touching memorial to me. I think that seeing these statues of these soldiers helped to drive home what it means to fight.

More touching than the statues, though, was this wall. There are no names, only images of soldiers, nurses, camp scenes, and more, engraved in it. It's like seeing ghosts from the past, looking over the people whose reflections are mirrored in the shiny wall. I hope you can see that in this photo. Personally, I think this memorial is better done than any of the others.

Next stop was the World War I Memorial, which is actually just for those soldiers from Washington DC. I thought that was interesting. Is there another memorial somewhere that recognizes ALL World War I veterans?

More cherry blossoms:

View of the Washington Monument behind the blooming cherry trees. I was walking along the tidal basin toward the Jefferson Memorial and turned around for this view.

The Jefferson Memorial:

As close as I got to Capitol Hill:

After walking the Mall and visiting all of these monuments and memorials, I went to the Smithsonian Castle. Not terribly exciting. Then I went to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. That was pretty cool. They have rockets and planes and satellites and all kinds of cool stuff. But to be honest, I was worn out from my loooooong walk, and I felt like the ground was wobbling around, so I didn't spend a lot of time there. I got some lunch and then sat and read my book at the Navy Memorial until it was almost time to meet Jeff.

Jeff and I went to the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. I didn't take any photos, because it's so dark in most of the museums that you can't really see anything anyway. But the museum was really cool. We spent a LOT of time in the exhibit about wars and politics.

Then we went back to the hotel and I bought some moleskin to treat my blistered feet.

On Friday, I started out at Arlington Cemetery. Here is the gravesite of John F. Kennedy, his wife and two of his children:

Then his brother, Robert F. Kennedy:

The changing of the guard ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns. This ceremony was interesting. I'm glad I got to see it once, but I have to say, I don't understand the lengths they go to. It seems more about pageantry and show, and less about sincerity. Okay, so some of you are now going to lambast me with other opinions. That's fine. I just thought it was overdone. I do, though, admire the meaning behind the ceremony and the symbolism of the soldier guarding the tombs.

The Tomb of the Unknowns:

A view of the cemetery.

The main gate to Arlington National Cemetery, which also houses a memorial to women soldiers. That memorial was really neat.

Jeff got out of class early on Friday, so I met him and we went to lunch in Chinatown (Ruby Tuesday - not very Chinese, but still tasty). Then we went to the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. That was neat. This elephant is in the lobby:

A triceratops in the dinosaur exhibit:

The hope diamond. Jeff, this is what I want for Christmas (whatever - I'd just sell it).

After visiting the Natural History Museum, we went to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. I learned a lot about the Holocaust and what led up to it. It was very informative, and very moving. To be honest, I was concerned about how I would react there. My feelings are very near the surface when it comes to the horrible things people do to each other, and I was worried that I would spend the whole time crying or regretting that I had come. But I didn't, and I don't. Everyone should see that museum.

On Saturday, we went to find the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. Jeff's uncle was a police officer who was shot and killed during a traffic stop in Southern Utah on January 26, 2003. It was just after we got engaged, and I never met his uncle. His name was David Charles Jones, and we found his name on the memorial:

The names are engraved on a low wall that runs the perimeter of this plaza.

So that's it - the highlights of our trip. I am so glad I was able to go. I think I saw pretty much everything that I really wanted to see. If I go again, I'd include the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, a tour of the White House, and a visit to Capitol Hill.

2 comments:

Mark and Emily said...

Love your pictures! Sounds like an amazing trip...

aje said...

Looks like you both saw some neat, neat things! I love the pics, too. Thanks for sharing.