Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Another project done

I got our "new" sink in today. It turned into a much bigger project than I had anticipated, of course. All of my projects do. I ended up needing to cut the hole in the countertop bigger, extend the dishwasher drain hose about six inches, and replace all of the plumbing underneath because the new sink's drains are a little farther apart than the old one's. I must admit, there's a certain satisfaction in knowing that all the plumbing underneath is shiny and new and not yet filled with crud. (Yes, I'm strange. I know.) And, I had to install the drain assemblies three times before we FINALLY had no leaks anywhere. (Dumb plumber's putty doesn't come with instructions - thank goodness for Google.)

While I was moving the faucet, I decided to get the part to fix the leak we've been having in it for several months. But then I couldn't get the handle off. Jeff came to try, and with all the yanking and pulling and maneuvering, somehow the faucet quit leaking - no disassembly required. So I guess that's good. I can return that part. And the replacement faucet I bought just in case all the yanking and pulling and maneuvering broke the old one completely. It's nice to be able to turn off the water and have it stop dripping without me putting the handle in juuusst the right spot.

Sorry, no photo today. The sink is finished, but it has cans of paint all over the edges, holding it down while the adhesive cures. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a picture. I was going to take before and after photos, but I forgot about the before until the old sink was already outside in the carport.

3 comments:

Levi and Cynthia Wilde said...

Wow Cami!! I'm impressed! I wouldn't know the first thing about putting a sink in...or anything even related to that. Thank heavens I married a plumber!! That's so awesome that you can do that!!

Julander Family said...

People have told me that you are a woman of all trades and talents! They weren't kidding! Plumbing wow! I need to be more brave and try doing projects like that myself! I'd probly just end up with a mess and have to pay someone else! Your awesome!

Heidi said...

I'm impressed! Projects always take me longer than I think they will. I thought it would only take me around 4-5 hours to paint my kitchen cabinets and over 20 hours later I was finally done.