Sunday, May 16, 2010

Yard Sale Finds

My parents were up here for the weekend, and my mom and I went yard sale-ing on Saturday morning. It was a GREAT day for yard sales. I got this:I've been looking on KSL for a piano bench for a long time, so I was way excited to get this. It's actually an organ bench, but I'll just have to shorten the legs a little to make it fit properly. When I asked how much it was, the man said $10. I didn't say anything for about five seconds, and he said, "$5?" How could I not take that? Especially since the style of it is very similar to our piano (which yes, I know is in dire need of refinishing - one project at a time). I would have paid $10, but sometimes a well placed pause is very beneficial. :-)

I also found this:
Yes, that is a hand-crocheted queen-size bedspread. It is BEAUTIFUL!!!! My mom found it stashed under a table at a yard sale where they were still taking things out. Guess how much this beauty cost? $15. I could hardly believe it when I heard that. I've wanted to make a bedspread for a long time, and I've found a lot of patterns that I really like. But I get bored doing the same thing over and over when I crochet. And a bedspread would require like, 500 of the same little flower or star. It would seriously take me the rest of my life to finish it. So $15 is a great price to pay to spare me all that monotony.

I found kid-size baseball mitts (even in pink for Faith):
Michael is really excited about his, even though it doesn't look like it here. (They were watching Princess and the Frog, and he was not very happy that I made him take a photo in the middle of it.)

And in close competition with the crocheted bedspread for my favorite find of the day:
A kitchen sink! I am so excited about this one. We currently have one of those nasty porcelain or ceramic or whatever sinks. It is impossible to keep clean, and I hate it. So when I found this stainless, super-deep sink for $15, I grabbed it. Jeff wasn't very excited about the additional project, but I told him it would be my project. I'll clean it up and hopefully get it installed this week.

And speaking of projects, this is my latest one to be finished:I had been considering one just like this on KSL, but then it sold. When we were down in Delta for Mother's Day, my mom had the exact same one on her front porch! She had bought it at a bargain store down there for $20 and was going to give it to my brother to use as an end table. But he didn't want it. So I bought it from her for $20, and after a week of sanding, staining, polyurethaning, and painting, and too many trips to Lowe's to get the right screws, here it is. I'm really happy with how it turned out, but I'm not still not 100% sure that it's what I want between those two chairs. (Which, by the way, are the chairs that I bought from the DI for $15 total and still need to recover - yeah, we have a lot of projects piling up here.) I think I need someone with some design sense to come tell me how to arrange my living room - should I get a couch or a sectional? What color should I get? Should I put it here or there? I am really not good at arranging or decorating a house. But I'm super good at finding things to put in it!

5 comments:

Nate said...

Nice finds! My favorite is the sink since we had the same porcelain(?) type when we were first married and we HATED it. When we built our house we were very specific about requiring a stainless steel one. Someday when we're rich maybe we'll upgrade to a Corian type, but for now we love the stainless!

Connie said...

Thanks for the fun day. It is so much more fun to do yard sales in Ogden than in Delta. It is also great fun to go with someone who gets as excited about bargains as I do. You did great.

April said...

we should go garage sale"ing" together next week.

I love your awesome finds. I dragged Chay and the girls with me on Saturday- he wasn't all too happy until he found sub woofers for $4 dollars and sold them for $50 on KSL. of course.

I went to Savors on Friday- because I needed to just get out- but Kenzie came along anyway and that was fun- but I found this painting for $6 and it was huge and just perfect for the girl's room. I was just giddy. I felt like it was meant to be. LOL.

I think your piano move was a good design choice- perfect spot and becomes a great focal point in the room.

There is a blog called "Design with Christine" you can upload video, scans, and pictures of your room and she will give you interior advice for free. I have asked her a couple questions myself and she answers through posts pretty fast. Just sketch out your room and scan it to her- I bet she will have awesome advice about furniture placement-

http://www.designwithchristine.com/

Malinda said...

Those are some awesome finds! That makes me want to start yard sale-ing.

Hollie said...

That bedspread is beautiful. I would never be able to do that. It's so much fun getting great deals!