Friday, May 28, 2010

Boot camp

Ugh. When 5:30 Tuesday morning rolled around, I was not too excited about getting up and going to work out. Especially since I had worked until midnight and then Lauren had been up every two hours the night before. But I dragged myself out of bed and went. To be honest, I was a little disappointed at how many "skinny minnies" there were. I thought that in the beginning boot camp class, there would be more people like me. There are a couple, but out of 45 or so people, only about 9 of us are first-timers. The rest have been doing every session of boot camp for a while now. One lady started in October, and has lost 30 pounds since then.

After the initial workout, the first-timers went into the trainer's office to get our body fat measurements done. I actually am better off than I thought I was (partly due to the 10 pounds I've lost in the last couple of months due to running). But I still have a ways to go. Hopefully I'll reach my goal with only one session, because it isn't cheap. I'm going to follow the diet plan that the trainer gave us as well. It's very reasonable - all about eating frequent small meals with protein, whole grains, and produce, eliminating refined foods, and reducing carbs. And the plan is incremental. So this week I'm only working on having a good breakfast, with whole grains, protein, no sugar other than fruit, and no more than 4 grams of fat. Next week we make some changes to lunch, and so on.

The first week of workouts is now over, and I am SO SORE. SO SO SO SO SORE!!!! But I also am enjoying these workouts much more than I enjoy running. Even though I can't lift my arms above my head without some serious pain, I'm glad I'm doing this. I've had to modify the workouts a little bit to get through, but hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll be able to complete them all.

And on days when I don't go to boot camp, I'm still going to work out at home with the Winsor Pilates videos. I used to do them a long time ago, and it made a huge difference. I'm looking forward to the lower impact and the toning and core strength that comes from those. And the stretching. I love my pilates videos. And I love e-bay, which allowed me to replace my VHS ones with DVD. So much nicer than rewinding all the time.

As a way to make myself more accountable, I'm going to post my progress in my sidebar after each of my weekly "weigh-ins." It will make me think twice before I order that piece of grasshopper pie from Jeremiah's.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I wanted to do that when I was pregnant with Gavin, but the cost turned me off. Sounds like a great work out though!