Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Frustration

I wasn't planning to use this blog as a vent-site, but today I have to make an exception. I found myself in tears, standing in the baby food aisle at the grocery store today. In the last two weeks, the price of 2nd foods has gone from 47 cents to 69 cents a jar. That's almost a 50% increase! We were already spending about $70 a week on food for Michael, and that increase would put it up over $100. We just cannot continue to do this. It's time for a change, but I'm really worried. Most of you know what a frustration feeding Michael has been. Most people don't believe me when I tell them that he only eats baby food. They think, "Oh, and crackers, and cookies, and toast, and...." No. I would throw the biggest party ever if he would eat a sandwich. He'll eat Smarties and SweetTarts and suck on licorice, and that's about it. Other than that, it really is just baby food - and not just any baby food. It has to be the right brand and the right flavor.

But anyway, yes, we have to do something. There is no possible way that we can afford to keep buying baby food. Jeff and I are going to make some baby food tonight, and explain to Michael that we aren't buying it any more. He has to learn to eat it. The next few weeks will probably be extremely difficult.

So here's the funny side of this story: When I first saw the prices in the baby food aisle today, I said, "Oh no, I think I'm going to be sick," and then I said something about how this is too much money. Michael has been very concerned ever since. While helping me clean the bathrooms today, he kept saying, "You not sick, that not too much money!" I think he's trying to make me feel better.

No comments: