Friday, July 4, 2008

Land of the Free, Home of the Brave

Today we went up to Huntsville for the 4th of July parade and patriotic program. I had a really good time. I love Huntsville, and I love the 4th of July, but I think mostly I just love seeing my family and spending time with them. The program was particularly nice, I thought. I always always always get choked up when they do the tribute to the various branches of the military. I was grateful it was dark, because I had some tears when Grandpa stood to represent the U.S. Marine Corps, and especially when the young man who had served in Operation Iraqi Freedom stood. I'm so proud of my country. I'm very grateful to live here and to have the freedoms that we have. I have some issues with some of the decisions that our leaders make. I have issues with the economy, and I have issues with health care, and I have issues with the handling of the Iraq War, and I have issues with the war itself. (Let's face it, I just have issues.) But I am so thankful that we have the privilege of voting for or against the people who make those decisions, and that we can make choices without the fear that so many people in so many countries have when they choose to support the "wrong" party (Zimbabwe comes to mind). Even though a lot of countries have free and fair elections, where there is no "wrong" party, I still wouldn't choose any of them over the good ol' USA. We're pretty blessed here.

On another note, Michael was really funny today. He's always been a little freaked out by crowds of people and by loud noises. I was kind of worried about the parade, because they have tractors, sirens, guns, etc., and I was worried about the program because he doesn't like the clapping and cheering that comes with that sort of thing. But he did great. In fact, he clapped and cheered along with everyone else. It was cute, because he'd get this big grin on his face and put his hands up high in the air and clap and clap and clap, and say in this high-pitched voice, "Yaaaayyyy!" It was really fun.

No comments: