Sunday, July 13, 2008

Some Random Success

Da da da dum!! We had a breakthrough!! I am very pleased to announce that Michael, all by himself, bit into a hamburger bun. I was cleaning up after dinner and putting the buns away, when Michael said he wanted one. I asked, "Are you going to eat it?" and he said, "Yes." So I gave him one and watched as he sank his teeth into it - twice!! Did he actually take the bite off and chew it? No, but that's not the point. Those of you who know what a struggle eating has been with Michael, know what a big deal it is that he even put the bun near his mouth. I was so excited. We are making progress, even though it is painfully slow and frustrating.

In other successful news, I made my first wedding cake for profit this week. It turned out beautiful. I was very happy with it. Here are a couple photos:

close-up of the roses (I made these from fondant)

I made this cake for Ruth May, a lady in Huntsville. Grandma and Jodi did the food for her reception, and Jodi suggested to her that I do the cake. Thanks, Jodi!! It was fun to do. And thanks, Jeff, for taking the kids while I worked on the cake, and especially for driving slowly through the canyon so we could get it there in one piece - well, two pieces. But both pieces survived the trip. Phew. Getting it there was my biggest worry.

Here are some photos of other cakes I've made:

I sent this one to Jeff's work.

Sesame Street cupcakes for Michael's birthday.

These flowers and birds are made from frosting. They're edible, but they don't really taste that good. Just sugar and water. They look pretty, though!

Coming soon: a cake for Riley (an Army tank), one for Hunter (a track-hoe and a dump truck), and one for Julia (still to-be-determined, although her mom is thinking of a daisy, and something with the color purple). Julia is my friend April's little girl. She'll be one next month.

I've been thinking of doing this as a little side business, along with selling my crocheted stuff - baby dresses and name doilies. But I need a name for my little business. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Connie said...

I'm so excited that Michael tried the bun. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a huge step.

The wedding cake is gorgeous. It is so elegant. I love all the others, too. You are amazing. I'll think on the name.

Love, Mom

Callie Hansen said...

I am so proud of Michael. Baby steps are still steps!

Cami you are so stinkin talented on the cakes and such. That wedding cake is gorgeous! What a success! I'm so excited for the tank cake and I can't wait to see pix of Hunter's cake too. Make sure you always post them! Hey, remind me to ask you something about blessing clothes this weekend.

As for business names....
Cami's Custom Pieces & Cake
Cami's Custom Cakes & Crafts (or Crochet)
Cami's Cakes & Crafty Crochet
Cakes 'N Crafts
Cakewalk & Babytalk
Dress it up, Cakes
Heartfelt Cakes and Crafts
Name that Cake
Cakes & Crafts by Cami (or by design)
Hooked on Crafts & Cakes
Patty Cakes & Custom Crafts
Crumbs and Crocheted Crafts
For Goodness Cake & Craft
One Stop Cake & Craft Shop
Sugar, Spice & Crafted Nice
Sweet Favors
and finally....
Crumby Cakes & Crocheted Crap (jk)

Love you!

Mandi said...

Crimany - that cake turned out great! I don't have any name suggestions for you, but I like Callie's Cakewalk and Babytalk. It's kind of cute.

And yea for Michael!

Love you!

Mark and Emily said...

Cami,
Thanks for inviting me to view your blog...I love it. I'll send you an invitation to read mine...you'll have to check out my wedding cake (look in the month of May). Where were you when I needed you??? My cake was hideous and it was done professionaly (although I won it).
Miss you,
Em