Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thankful Thursday

I have a lot to be thankful for today:
  • Smooth, easy flights. All of our flights went really well. I never ended up between two big men who hated babies. In fact, on that first flight, I ended up in an aisle seat with no one next to me. Nice. And on the way home, we were in window seats both times. That was a little cramped, but it was okay. And Faith did so well. She just looked around and smiled at everyone and then napped. Phew.
  • Long, hot showers. Aaahhh. I especially love it when they're in a bathroom I don't have to clean, and with water I don't have to pay to heat or use, and when there are no little ones trying to peek in to make sure I'm there. Jeff tries to peek in, but I don't feel bad about locking him out of the bathroom.
  • Green space. Even though Jeff and I wish we had a bigger yard, going to NYC made me remember how grateful I am to have a yard at all. Our house is bigger than most NYC apartments, and it's certainly a lot less expensive. And we have a lawn and a garden and a strawberry patch and flowers and two big trees and a sandbox and a swing and a storage shed and a barbecue grill and..... All that stuff would never work there. There's no room for it. The only lawns I saw in Queens, where our hotel was, were so small it would you could probably cut them with scissors faster than you could get out a lawn mower to do it.
  • Nice New Yorkers. I mentioned this in my last post, but it is so true that everyone I ran into or asked for help or directions was SO nice. In fact, the only rude people I met were in the airport terminal heading back to SLC. So there's a great commentary for you about stereotypes.
  • Prayer. I hate to fly. Something about being enclosed in a little space 36,000 feet in the air just turns my stomach. And don't get me started on turbulence. I once had the misfortune of being in a plane when it was hit by lightning. That was an awful experience. But the last several times I've flown, I have said a little silent prayer to calm my nerves. I just pray that I will feel peace and know that things will be okay. It works every time, and it works immediately.

1 comment:

Mandi said...

Glad you had fun! And I'm also glad that you weren't trapped between those two large men who hated babies. That would have made for a miserable flight - although, like Mom said, they most likely would have like boobs, so maybe it would have worked out anyway.

Can't wait to read about the rest of your adventures in NYC. Hope you're having fun at Bear Lake.

Love you!