Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas

We had a great Christmas this year. The kids were spoiled and got more than they should have, and Jeff and I probably got more than we should have, too. We tried really hard to explain to the kids (especially Michael) that Christmas is NOT about Santa Claus, but it's hard to say that, and then see all the gifts that "Santa" brought, and have it not be about Santa and presents.

We had a special Family Home Evening where we talked about Jesus' birth, and we had a family prayer before we opened gifts, but when I asked Michael why we had Christmas, he still said, "So Santa can bring us presents." And when he said his prayers on Christmas Eve, he said, "And bless Santa that he can come visit us tomorrow." So the message obviously didn't quite sink in.

We had told Michael that when he got up on Christmas, he could look at the gifts, but he couldn't touch them or play with them or open them until after breakfast. He was very excited to see that Santa had brought not one, but TWO remote control trucks. When I suggested that one was probably for Daddy, he got even more excited - which was nice. Faith got a baby doll with a stroller, bed, and high chair; and Lauren got a play mat which will hopefully keep her entertained for hours on end as she gets a little older.

All the kids also got a ton of other toys, clothes, etc. Like I said, they were spoiled. When it was all over, Jeff and I spent a lot of time cleaning out about half of the toys we already had to make room for the new stuff. The back of the van is currently full of things to drop off at the Ogden Rescue Mission thrift store tomorrow.

I think in future years, Christmas will be different. I like giving the kids fun gifts and toys, but really, I think it was just too much. We didn't spend a ton of money, but I just don't want Christmas to be so much about the presents. I'm thinking that starting next year, we'll do maybe a Christmas outfit, a book, a game, and a special toy or two for each kid. I want to downsize, simplify, make it more about Christ.

3 comments:

aje said...

I loved this post. (And I'm glad you had a good Christmas!)

My family grew up doing Christmas on Christmas morning - opening gifts, making breakfast, hanging out together for the day. This year was a little different. With Dad not here and my sister (and her family) up in ID, it was basically just me, Mom, and my younger sister. We decided to do Christmas on Christmas Eve - which was a new tradition for us - since I had to work on Christmas day.

Can I just say that I noticed such a difference from what I knew as a child? Christmas Day was even better this year - perhaps made so because it was wholly focused on Christ - there were no presents to focus on - no material items. It was more peaceful, more holy, more about what it was supposed to be about.

I think I will put a plug in for future Christmas "presents" to be done on Christmas Eve rather than the Day...

Just thought I'd add my two cents.

April said...

the day after Christmas we loaded the jeep to the top full of stuff and dropped it off at D.I.

I was in a crazy mood and got rid of a lot of stuff. Felt great.

Hollie said...

I like your idea for next year, sounds wonderful! Glad you guys had a Merry Christmas.

We just got rid of a bunch of toys and now we've got to go through them again!