Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Could you show me the way to the money tree?

I don't even know where to begin telling about all the money we are spending these days. Yesterday we had someone come give us an estimate to run heating into our two basement bedrooms. We found that our furnace is undersized and overworked, and to run extra registers would only make it worse. So today, we had a new furnace installed. I keep imagining those loud old-fashioned cash register dings. Cha-ching. At least it's a high-efficiency one that will get us a $1500 tax credit as well as a rebate from the gas company.

Jeff has had consultations at two different companies for Lasik. He will probably have his surgery in about three weeks. Cha-ching. Thank goodness for a health savings account. This is something he has wanted for a long time, and we decided a while ago that he would do it in 2010.

We applied for a new mortgage today. Actually, to refinance our existing mortgage. But since we're refinancing with a different bank, we have to pay more out of pocket. Cha-ching. We wanted to refinance with Chase (which is where our current mortgage is), but they have this stupid rule that a home has to be off the market for 30 days before they will even accept an application for a refinance. And if we want cash out (which we do), it has to be off the market for six months. We don't want to wait six months before applying to refinance. Once Lauren is sleeping through the night, I'm hoping to get her and Faith moved into their own room and Jeff and me into our own room in the basement, and that means we have to get going on fixing up the basement now. We really don't have six months to wait. So we went to America First and got locked in today for a much better interest rate on a 20-year loan. But we do have to pay an appraisal fee out of pocket. Cha-ching.

I guess if I think about it, it isn't too bad. The money that we get back from the loan will pay for the furnace, plus remodel the basement bedroom (we hope - I'm sure there will be many entertaining posts in the future, ranting about the remodeling habits of the Turvorts and how we have to fix tons of things that we didn't even know were issues). The HSA will pay for Jeff's Lasik. Okay, WE will pay for his Lasik, but at least the HSA is a way to pay for it over a year with no interest and with tax-free money.

Still, if anyone finds a money tree, please let me know.

3 comments:

Nate said...

We love having an HSA plan, too, and sometime soon we both want to do Lasik. Maybe in a year or two for us. Hopefully the idiots in Congress won't screw things up too badly and terminate all the HSA plans...

Elissa said...

money tree....I'm trying to grow one in my backyard right now. I think it should start blossoming soon. I'll have you over around harvest time....

Rachel said...

You are not alone. If I had a money tree it could have paid for my new fridge I just had to buy. I swear the expenses never end!